Motorists need to be vigilant of pedestrians at all times, but equally, pedestrians need to be aware of vehicles and other road users. Make yourself seen at all times and make it known to drivers what you are planning to do.
What to remember…
- Have a phone which is full of charge, or let someone know the route you are planning on walking.
- If you’re walking at night, avoid wearing dark clothing. Light clothing will help you be more visible to other road users around you.
- When crossing the street, use traffic lights or pedestrian crossings, where you can.
- Avoid walking on the road where possible, aim to walk on the pavement, so that you aren’t in the way of ongoing traffic.
- Use extra caution when walking across driveways. Drivers may not expect you to be there, or may not have seen you.